Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Aftermath of Friday the 13th

Well, I was right. It was definitely interesting. I was involved in a car accident and we ended up sinking in 10 feet of freezing cold ice water. Amazingly we escaped relatively unscathed. I was in shock for most of the weekend. It still feels like some crazy bad dream or something that only happens on TV or in the movies. This isn't supposed to happen to normal people. So now our car is gone and we are left cleaning up the mess left behind. Dealing with insurance and moving from borrowed vehicle to borrowed vehicle while we wait for our settlement. We also have the pleasure of having to tell our terrifying story over and over to everyone who asks what happened. And then we get to hear over and over again how lucky we are to be alive and how close we came to death and one small thing could have happened and we would have been toast. Now this only reinforces the terrible feeling we already have about what has happened. So I have basically been trying to tell everyone the story so that it's all over with and I won't have to do it any more. It's actually going pretty well. The first couple times I was pretty shaky but now it's not so bad. All I have to do now is figure out how to make the small things that used to be so important feel important again. It's funny how something like that can make everything look so different. All of a sudden I feel like I have no time left and so much to do. I haven't hardly even taken a break at work since for fear I will leave things unfinished. My favorite TV shows don't seem so vital to see. I hardly ever feel like eating any more. Sleeping is most difficult. I'm sure this is only a temporary state of shock and stress but it still makes life more difficult at a time when it sucks pretty hard already. I guess you just suck it up and hope you take away something good from the whole experience. And like everyone tells us, I guess we get to go car shopping now. Woohoo! Unfortunately I think that car shopping is one of those things that are fun if you choose them and painful if forced to.

No comments:

Post a Comment