Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Facebook

Facebook is something that I'm sure everyone has heard of by now. I had received a few invitations to join and eventually gave in just to see what it was all about. Of course I am now hooked. It is actually pretty cool. They put a bunch of extra crap in there like different applications you can add to your page (i.e. Pirates, movie ratings, zombies, horoscopes, fortune cookies, pets, etc.) which is really pretty useless. The cool part is how many people are actually using it. I have found people I haven't seen in 16 years. That, to me, it pretty amazing. I guess the downside would be that people can also find you, whether you want them to or not. I find it very convenient for sharing photos. It is very easy to upload and add comments to pictures. They also have this option where you can select a region containing someones face and name it and if they are on Facebook too you can link it to their profile. I guess the messaging part is basically just like email. You have an inbox where you get messages but you can also post messages on other people's (or your own) "wall". All of the people who are in that profiles "Friends" list can then see that message. Nice for getting a public message out to all your friends (not that you can't do that with email too). To me it seems a little more personal then email. Maybe it's because it feels more like real-time then email because of the way the message board is setup. All in all, to me, it seems like a great way to make the world a little smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment