Thursday, September 04, 2008

Growing Hair For Cancer

Yes, you read the title correctly, I am growing hair for cancer.

I have seen people I love battle with cancer, as I am sure most of you have. Seems like everyone these days has or knows someone who has some sort of cancer. And everything you touch, eat, drink, or even look at will give you cancer. And I am sure that some day I too will have a battle with cancer.

Now what does this have to do with growing hair you may ask. Well, I have lots of hair, I always have. When you get cancer and start going for treatments, your hair falls out. I could not even begin to imagine what it would be like to have no hair. I mean, sure you'd save on shampoo but your head would be cold and naked. When battling cancer, not only do you have to deal with a tonne of stuff like going to a million appointments, taking medicine so you don't feel sick from the medicine you take so you don't feel sick from the chemo and radiation, being tired all the time, and possibly dying, you also get to deal with not having any hair and everyone staring at you because all of a sudden you don't have any hair and them all knowing that you are sick, and that you probably look sicker then you really are because you don't have any hair. When you really think about it your hair is a big part of you.

So, how can we help? By growing hair and then cutting it off and making it into wigs! I am going to do the growing part. I'll leave the cutting and wig making to the pros. All you need is 8 inches of untreated hair. It's easy! You just sit around and concentrate really hard on growing your hair. You can even do it while watching TV! Can't grow your hair because of hereditary baldness or you just don't think you could stand the ridicule? You could donate money instead. It takes 12 hair donations and $1200 to make ONE wig. That's one expensive hair cut!

I am trying to find 11 other people to make hair donations and to raise $1200 in donations. If you are interested in either part, let me know. One wig doesn't sound like much, but it could make a world of difference for someone.

I will be posting about progress so stay tuned. I need to get a trim so I'll do an official first measurement after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment