Friday, December 03, 2010

Water Woes

Background Information:

This summer saw our land (~100 acres) almost completely under water.  We basically had a moat and you could only cross through the hills at the West end of the land or though the driveway.  On the North part of our land is a small body of water that is rented by Ducks Unlimited.  Contained with berms in this body of water is the lagoon for the town of Prud'homme.   This body of water is also on our neighbors land (actually closer to them then to us).  We share a well for water with these neighbors.  The well is about 100 feet from this body of water.

The Story:

After 20 some-odd years of neglect, the berms that contain the lagoon have given way.  Also, the lagoon has been completely submerged in water.  This means that everything that every person in the town of Prud'homme flushed down their toilet is released onto our land (ex. dental floss holders, toilet paper, tampon applicators).  Now when I or my neighbor goes out back on our land with our dogs, we have this wonderful view of garbage.  The second issue that this is causing is it is messing with our well water.  We have had it tested and there has been no jump in bacteria but the Nitrate level has made a significant jump.  Nitrates can not be removed by boiling and can cause Nitrite poisoning or cancer.  It also causes build-up in your taps, drains, dishwasher, clothes washer, etc. which can actually break many appliances.  It leaves a film on dishes and makes your skin REALLY dry.  And gives you a rash!  GROSS!  The Health Ministry recommended chlorinating our well and that young children and babies should not bath in our water until the nitrate levels go down.

The Problem:

So, we call the town up and ask what they are going to do about this.  "Oh, nothing right now" they say.  They have a grant from the government right now and they would rather upgrade the town's water purification system then fix the lagoon.  Ummm, I don't think so.  So they say "alright, we'll get someone out to look at it".  So a guy from Sask Environment comes out and says, "yup, it's broken".  Gee, thanks, didn't catch that one.  They also plan a meeting with an engineer to draft a repair plan, after which I was supposed to receive a phone call, which I never did and that was almost a month ago now.  I eventually called them back and the lady who answered said "oh yeah, the mayor wants to talk to you, she has some questions for you, please call her at home in the evening".  Uh, okay.  If she wants to talk to me why didn't she call me back?

So fine, they want to be like that, I'll get some government or some committee or something on my side.  Yeah, good luck!  I emailed Ducks Unlimited, the Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment, and the Saskatchewan Watershed Authority and they all said they were not responsible and to talk to one of the other ones.  Although Ducks Unlimited at least tried to help, there just really wasn't anything they could do.

And now it's winter and everything is under a thick layer of ice and snow and is just silently poluting where people can't see.  Next step, I'm not sure yet.  Maybe start drinking the water so I can get sick, get time off work, and sue the town?  Sounds like all winning to me :o)

3 comments:

  1. That's terrible. Keep fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next step is we should get a petition going...have a meeting with all of our neighbours that are affected by the disgustingness of the situation, as well as leaving a little write-up/petition for anyone to sign at the post office. I wish I knew someone in the media, because they'd be out here in a second if I could get them! Next spring, I will be taking my camera with me on my walks with the dog, and the town office will be receiving a grand photo display of what they are doing to the land surrounding the lagoons. Btw....they would NEVER let anything like this happen if it was located right beside town....the town mayor is an environmentalist for heaven's sake!!! ya right. I think we should definitely get together with all the neighbours that are being affected though. If you want, I can do the calling and we'll get everyone together during the winter months when everyone is not too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good idea Carrie. I still haven't called Margarett, I'll try to get it done this weekend 'cause I won't be home until later tonight. I could always send some messages to CTV or Global too. I've got a pretty good contact at Ducks Unlimited that might be able to help out too.

    ReplyDelete