Wednesday, September 13, 2006

And then there was rain...

It's raining. It is supposed to rain for the next 5 days or so. I suppose then it will begin to snow. It definitely feels like summer is over. I'm supposed to be a bridesmaid in an outdoor wedding this weekend too. I had to pay for the dress and then I had to pay to get it altered. I had to buy new shoes and get my hair cut and various other things. And now the weather is going to ruin it all.

Anyway, back to the third party software problem. Now one person is saying that everything is good to go and another is saying that it isn't. You would think that they could talk to each other and get their stories straight before dealing with us. Oh well. I'm just going to go on the assumption that everything is fine and take it from there.

I've been working for this software company for a few years now and everyone is always saying to me that I could get a job anywhere now that I have some experience, but I don't think that is completely true. Sure, I have experience, but only really with one language. I'd still have to start all over learning another language if I went anywhere. It's even worse because we use our own language. So I have come to the conclusion that I should start experimenting with some new languages (not that I'm planning on leaving my current job, it's just nice to learn and be prepared). So I started with a project in the language I know first. I started writing a Monopoly rip-off game. When I have it more or less running I will attempt to rewrite it using Ruby on Rails (at least that's the plan). I've seen a little bit of Ruby on Rails and it seems like an interesting approach. The Ajax stuff look handy too. At least it should be fun and interesting. It's always easier to learn a language when you are learning it to do something you want to be working on, rather then something you have to be working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment