Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Is SwiftUI My Saviour

 Last night while I waited on an 11 gb download for xcode to chug away over my "high speed" rural internet connection I spent some time watching some SwiftUI videos from WWDC20.  

The first thing I noticed is that the speakers were all men, not that it really matters, just seemed a little strange now-a-days.  They were also all really, really excited about the new changes to SwiftUI.  A couple had really thick Russian (?) accents that made it tricky to understand sometimes but overall they were good speakers.

One of the main new terms they use is the "Source of Truth".  The first time I heard the term I did chuckle a bit...and still do.  This is what they call the datasource that is used by a View...or a Scene...or an App.  I get that they called it that because it dictates how things behave and display and refresh but really...the Source or Truth...still seems funny to me.

The last time I looked at the app development system in xcode was a few years ago now, definitely seems like things are easier then they used to be.  They have a live preview, handle test data, make it pretty easy to add library items, and handle a lot of the backend stuff now like automatically syncing your view to your data (the view's Source of Truth).  State and Observable Objects seem to make getting data around pretty convenient.  There is also some new storage options for data that needs a longer lifecycle.

So the download actually finished installing this morning around 8am, which was good as last night it got to 6 gbs and quit...which was super annoying.  So I guess I am ready to dive in.  

Next spring I am planning on putting new siding on my house (it is past the "want" list and moved on to the "need" list) and calculating all the quantities of all the different kinds of material you need to buy was pretty straight forward but also kind of a pain to do manually and to keep everything straight so since I just went through the work on paper it should be a pretty straight forward practice to transfer in to app form.  Nothing fancy but should offer some practice with views and getting data around.  

Something to keep the mind busy while the lung issues persist.

No comments:

Post a Comment