Last night I started my adventure in app development using xCode and SwiftUI. I started with some tutorials on SwiftUI, which maybe I should have started with some tutorials on xCode but why not jump in with both feet.
SwiftUI doesn't seem too bad. I have spent the last 19 years of my work career in pretty much one language so learning the language is a whole task in itself, but like most languages figuring out the syntax is not the hardest part.
It turns out xCode itself is not the most smooth running developer UI. It crashes unexpectedly and refuses to tell you what the issue is, which is always frustrating. The preview will not work if you use subfolders, which was about a half an hour puzzle. Some things seem to mysteriously work in one project and for some random reason not in another, and again, it just crashes and says it was some unknown reason. Not the best experience for a first time.
After about three hours of googling errors and half an hour of actually writing code I have a very basic layout for my app done. Needless to say I was hopeful that progress would be better, but I have to keep reminding myself that I don't know any of this stuff, this is all learning new information so it is going to be slow. This isn't like work, I don't have thousands of lines of code and almost two decades of experience in my head to draw on for the syntax and debugging. It has been a long time since I have been "new" so a project like this. Thankfully I am used to it from attempting projects around the house.
Fingers crossed today goes a little better. Unfortunately it will start with a visit to Google as I called it a night with an outstanding puzzle as to why my json data will not parse in one project but it will in another.
No comments:
Post a Comment